August 28, 2009

Household Chores

I hope this is a little-known fact about me--I mean, I hope you can't tell from looking at my house: I dislike cleaning. And, I never feel like I have the time, energy, or desire. Now I love organizing and rearranging, and I like for our house and any space of mine to be organized with things where they belong--a place for everything, and everything in its place. But I have a real aversion to cleaning rags and vacuums.

My wonderful husband has allowed us for much of our married life to have a house-cleaner come every other week. What a blessing it was while I was working full-time and then pregnant! Our most recent house-cleaner did not work out, and Mr. Morgan recently told her we wouldn't be needing her services anymore. I decided that since I'm at home most all of every day, I could and should be able to clean our 2000-square-foot house adequately within two weeks.

In talking things over with Deb, she lamented that perhaps growing up she hadn't taught me well enough how to clean or that she hadn't made me clean our house a sufficient number of times. I assured her that she had: I definitely remember cleaning as a child and teenager. Even then, I preferred straightening the house way more than cleaning any part of it.

I tackled the job of cleaning chez Morgan as I do any other: I organized a schedule of different household chores to accomplish each day, reserving Fridays and weekends as make-up days. And, I'm happy to say that I got all my chores done these last two weeks! I'm pretty proud of myself given my tendencies and life-long aversion.

1 comment:

  1. Check out http://flylady.net. I looked into this when I thought I might start taking over some of the house-cleaning responsibilities. (We ended up deciding that me doing consulting and bringing in more income was more valuable than taking over the kitchen or laundry or what-have-you).

    ReplyDelete