September 12, 2009

Sept. 11

The anniversary always makes me think--as it probably does to everyone--of exactly where I was back on that fateful day. I was a college student visiting Keene State College in New Hampshire as a national exchange student for the fall semester of 2001. Being less than five hours from New York City was interesting because so many of my fellow students knew New Yorkers. Instead of my morning class, we watched The Today Show with Katie Couric talking on the air to Jim Miklaszewski (NBC's Pentagon correspondent) when the Pentagon was hit. We watched on live TV as both towers fell. I remember feeling so far away and alone, especially since I'd only been at this new school for two weeks.

Last year I picked up Claire from school, asking her if they'd talked about Sept. 11 and its significance. She had no idea what I was talking about, and she didn't know what "Sept. 11" meant. So, I explained to an eight-year-old what happened on that day. I was totally bawling by the end, and I think Claire thought I was crazy. I don't care if it sounds cliche: We really must never forget. And, for those kiddos who didn't experience the horror of that day, we must tell them so they never forget either.

UPDATE: I found a great article written by my favorite political writer, Victor Davis Hanson.

No comments:

Post a Comment